Nanotechnology has revolutionized many areas of science and technology in the last decade. Medicine and medical technologies, too, have been affected by this revolution.
In the next decade, considerable number of drugs and other such medical products will be based on nanotechnology. Keeping in mind that new, fast and at the same time efficient and cost effective methods of detection and treatment of diseases are introduced and also considering that human's health is a key to sustainable development, it becomes essential to know more and apply more of nanoscience abilities. It is thus important to have professionals at different levels in various fields, which are capable of applying their knowledge and skills in medical industries as managers, technicians or advisors.
Considering the needs of medical and research centers, educational and degree programs cans help in establishing research teams, which carry out research on discovery of new drugs and detection techniques based on nanotechnology, leading to establishment of laboratories and centers dedicated to nanomedicine and medical nanotechnology.
Having mentioned these and considering the country's national nanotechnology roadmap, it proves essential to develop degree programs at postgraduate level in medical nanotechnology.
The permission for the establishment of M. Sc. program in medical nanotechnology was first issued in 2006, following which the Ph. D. program started in 2007.
Our department so far has had 8 batches of M. Sc. and 7 batches of Ph. D. students admitted and is trying to prove itself as one of the key teaching centers in the country.
The aim of the postgraduate program in medical nanotechnology is to train professionals at M. Sc. and Ph. D. level who conduct fundamental and applied research in order to create knowledge and wealth and provide advice to both governmental organizations as well as private section.
- Synthesis of nanostructured drugs, metal oxides, noble metals, liposome, polymers, etc.
- Targeted drug delivery based on nanotechnology
- Gene delivery by using nanoparticles
- Toxicology of nanomaterials
- Medical implants based on nanomaterials
- Nanotechnology in regenerative medicine, stem cell technology and tissue engineering
- Making nanostructures by using SPM
- Nanoscale modeling
- Laser interaction with nanomaterials
- Design and fabrication of microelectrodes (ITO, Pt, Au) for detection, manipulation and separation of nanomateirlas, proteins and DNA
- Fabrication of biosensors by using microelectrodes based on "lab on a chip" system for detection and studying the functionality of tumor and cancerous cells
- Fabrication of thin films of special proteins and nanomaterials for faster detection and treatment of some special diseases like cancer
- Electrospinning and applications of nanofibers in medicine
- Studying electro-phoretic behavior of nanoparticles by using capillary electrophoresis in biological systems
- Applications of core-shell nanostructures in hyperthermia